Monday 26 September 2016

And so it begins

So just under a week on from the stupid decision to try and justify a mid life crisis (a sports car would have been cheaper...) and I'm starting to get my head around the gigantic training needs that the Ironman requires. The shortlist of aims in the short term seem to be:
1) Cut back on the coffee - Its no good aiming for a lovely and low RHR is I'm spiking it with caffeine every hour, likewise I like the buzz that gels give me, and I'd like them to have some effect come race time
2) Try to stay injury free during the union season - In the last 2 seasons I've broken 2 bones in my hands and further ruined my left knee. Whilst I'm still intending to play all season I think that strapping and pre-re hab are going to be my friends. I'm contemplating ice / cold baths following training but I think that's a little too pro.
3)Try to find time to get out on the bike. Easier said than done, although I have purchased some spangly new lights so I "could" go out in the dark.
4)Cut back the heavy weights sessions. In with body weight workouts and compound lifts (squat / dead / bench etc) to keep the core strong.


Another indoor cycle session this lunchtime ( a 45 min workout from you tube) and again I was sweating like a blind lesbian in a fishmongers. On the plus side it was good getting into the groove, and actually made me miss my bike sessions a little.


For every ying there's a yang - I ate like a ziggy piggy this weekend, so I'm most definitely back on the wagon this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment